This post contains affiliate links that help support my family. All opinions are my own. Please see Policies for further information.
For a long time I felt like I couldn’t figure out why some women looked so polished and I just couldn’t quite manage it. I’ve come a long way on that front and after careful study, I’ve identified some key elements of looking put together.
- Make sure your shoes, bag, and belt coordinate. They don’t have to match exactly, but they can’t clash (don’t mix brown and black, for example).
- Be sure that your shoes do not look worn out or beat up. If possible, give them a quick polish.
- Take the time to iron wrinkled articles of clothing (or throw them in the dryer for a bit if the material will allow it).
- Dress for your body type. You can get my complete guide by filling in this form:
- Avoid sweatpants, sweatshirts, and athletic wear of any kind. Opt for tailored items that fit properly. You can still be casual and/or sporty, but avoiding oversized or baggy clothing will take you a long way.
- Accessorize. If your hairstyle reveals your ears, wear earrings. Aim for at least 2 pieces of jewelry. Scarves can also help make an outfit look composed.
- One of the most important elements is your hair. If you want to look very put together and polished, the no-hair-out-of-place approach is best (a la Grace Kelly or Kate Middleton). If your hair is long enough, pulling it back into a bun is an easy way to go. If your hair is short, more styling is required. This is the hardest one for me. I have Hermione Granger hair that resists taming.
- If you can’t manage a “full face,” doing just a bit more than super basic makeup (foundation, mascara, lipstick) will make a big difference. Adding highlighter and blush will make your look seem polished without making you look too dolled up (bonus points if you add a touch of eyeliner). If you’re new to the world of highlighter, do not fear. It’s simple to apply and can be very subtle. You can see some of my favorites in the carousel below.
9. The more groomed you look, the better. In fact, the more groomed you look, the more attractive people will think you are. Make sure your eyebrows have been tended to and you’ll get more bonus points if your nails have been looked after. If you are wearing sandals, definitely have polish on your toes.
Bringing all these elements together will do a lot to elevate your look. For more style tips, see this post on my best style advice.
I have to apologize for being MIA for the last two weeks. I came down with a horrible stomach flu that lasted a full week and then both Holly Baby and Ivy Baby got it as well. This was followed by a family emergency and it’s taken me until now to get things back in gear. I have a good feeling about 2018 though, so full steam ahead!